Saturday, June 13, 2009

Science experiments

A couple of weeks ago I was reading the Let's Explore website where the author metioned their regular "Sunday night science" sessions and, coming from a science background, I thought that would be something nice to try with Junior. Earlier this week I came across Paper and Cloth's volcano experiment and I decided this would be a good first experiment for Junior. Here are a few pics of my budding young scientist.

Materials - bicard soda, vinegar and a little dishwashing liquid
Methods - put the vinegar and dishwahsing liquid in a jar - then add bicarb
Results - lots of foaming, fizzing bubbles ....
.... which Junior seemed to enjoy

This is a little experiment I was aware of but had never thought of doing with the kids. Being a wanabe ecomum I know that the fizzy bicarb and vinigar combo also works great for cleaning bathrooms, toilet and kitchens as well so perhaps next time the "science experiment" can take the form of cleaning the bathroom! Well I can always live in hope. Its just a shame my chemistry knowledge isn't so good because I was having a hard time explaining to junior why this raction takes place.

If anyone has any other good ideas or links to similar sites please let me know. I would like to continue the "science lessons" while Junior is still keen!

No comments:

Post a Comment